Monday, July 14, 2008

Bloc Party's "Mercury" Shoves it all in. And Somehow, it Works.


Based on the giant hype the new Bloc Party track is getting, I'm pretty sure my street cred would be shot if I didn’t post about this.
As a fan of Bloc Party, I have been awaiting this release. From the first of their albums, Silent Alarm, I have been continually impressed by the evolution and depth of Bloc Party. Silent Alarm’s clever references to the Pretenders, Gang of Four were a plus for me. The hard hitting, fast tempos and trebley toned guitars were a nice escape from the bass-heavy garage-influenced indie rock and bouncy brit pop which were invading the airwaves.
A Weekend In The City was decisively calmer, more mature and poetic. It was a gorgeous album - and although I have to now be in a certain mood to turn it on, its songwriting and production remain remarkable.
“Mercury” seems to have a whole slew of things going on within it. It’s no Mars Volta track, but it does seem to be experimental and disheveled.
Maybe it’s a slap in the face to those who reprimanded them for their last commercially viable (but still amazing) album. Maybe it's an ode to all of the ever-so-popular fad of mash-ups. Maybe they are just evolving. Whatever they are doing, it STILL works.
Take a listen and decide for yourself.
After all, I’m just a chesty broad with a keyboard.
Bloc Party- Mercury
courtesy of prettymuchamazing.com

1 comment:

jon jon said...

Tacos & Cavair's, a good look

chea

http://soundverite.blogspot.com/2008/07/bloc-party-mercury.html